Since the day I got my first PC I was a Microsoft Windows user. Although I tried Linux several times (starting with SuSE 5.3), I never managed to make it my primary operating system. My first attempts failed because it was much different than Windows and my later attempts failed because I find Microsoft Visual Studio way too good! Before some weeks, a friend of mine, John, convinced me that I can live without MS Visual Studio and I thought I should give Linux a go again. Because I am not a good swimmer and I am afraid of deep waters, I installed Ubuntu 11.10 x64. When I booted Ubuntu for first time I was like: “Wow! Everything looks and works great!”. This lasted for… hm… 5 minutes! 😀 The moment I tried to do something slightly out of the ordinary, everything went nuclear! A lot of little problems started to pop out. Most of them related to Unity. While I was trying to fix them I realized that the system was full of software and crap that no one on planet earth would ever use. I tried to ignore this and focus on the Unity issues. But after some minutes of extreme failing I decided to switch to the beloved Gnome. Then I realized that the new Ubuntu comes with Gnome 3 and a “fake” version of Gnome 2. And guess what? Both of them either SUCK or have problems. I bet that if I had some experience with Linux I could have solved those problems. For some reason I thought that Ubuntu was supposed to work out of the box for the most common stuff. But no! The Unity developers thought that having multiple screens on your computer is something rare and they should not spend much time on multiple screen support development. And after all the above I realized that if I want to make it work I have to do it the hard way. With my friend’s, John, guiding, I installed Debian 6 using the “netinst” installation. The installation was very fast because it installed only the basic system. I spent some time to find out how to connect to my wireless network. Then I installed Xfce and again I spent some time to find out how to install the NVidia drivers. And that was it! Everything worked fine, I installed all the software I needed and everything is fast and stable! Now the only thing left is to setup the machine for development and see if I can indeed live without MS Visual Studio! I will let you know when this happen!